Yep, I’m out of action again. Not my back this time, but my upper arm, which currently has a hottie bottie tucked under it. I think I pulled a muscle in it at the weekend, shifting luggage – it’s not shockingly bad, but I’m not risking making it worse by attempting to knit or spin just right now.
(This is good news with regards to me getting some blogging done, it would seem.)
My dyeing is all done – has been for a week or so but I’ve been a tardy blogger, which isn’t terribly wise when it comes to record keeping as I’ve now got to try and remember details that are not quite as fresh as they might have been.. I did at least make some notes (both on ravelry and, y’know, on your actual paper).
I’m pleased with the end results – I did initially have trouble with the yellows, as the one I ordered turned out to produce something much more mustard coloured than I’d hoped for but I guess that’s the risk when choosing colours online. In the end I reverted to food colouring for the yellow, and used the first two attempts with the Landscape dye as bases for my green and orange, overdyeing them with the Landscape blue and red.
I pretty much followed the instructions that came with them, at least with the primaries. The colours above are made at as close to their recommended full saturation levels as I could manage – the skeins are only small (25g-ish each) and my scales only measure 1g increments, so I had to estimate 2.5 grams and hope. They came out really quite saturated indeed, good news as I have plenty of remaining dye for future projects (particularly if they’re to be multicoloured and/or more muted than these).
I haven’t started knitting with them yet, as my other unfinished projects still aren’t completed, though I’ve started a pair of ‘photographer’s gloves’ (gloves with flippy tops on the the thumbs and forefingers) for my brother-in-law to keep him cosy on those winter photo shoots.
I have started a new spindling project though. More mulberry silk tops, so far I’ve managed 4g at about the same weight as the last lot –
And as you can see from this picture, I’ve also managed to give it a proper bounce off the kitchen floor. It doesn’t seem to have affected its spin too much, but it does feel a bit weird, so I think I’ll glue it back on – though I think I’ll at least wait until I’ve emptied the spindle, it seems like asking for gluey trouble otherwise.