…pickled woolly stuff.
So, come on let’s have a look at it…
…come along now, let’s have a sniff of it…
…come along now, let’s have a little bit more.
Ahem. Roughly 100g of BFL. Dyed with food colouring as per, and I’m starting to itch for some ‘proper’ dyes – this went into the steamer an interesting mix of ruddy brown, muddy red, and dark grey-blue, and emerged looking… well, like this. This might be in part due to the fact that the blue I used was Asda ‘natural’ (aka ‘all they had on the shelf’) – made with spirulina, according to the ingredients label. If memory serves, this is the foodstuff that makes a flamingo pink – so the fact I’ve ended up with something that reminds me of a rose is probably down to that.
The reason I spent yesterday doing this was because yes, my bobbins are free, free! of the green and yellow string that’s been driving me crazy these past two weeks.
It’s come out at an average of around 38-40wpi. Which I think goes some way to explaining why it almost broke my brain. I ended up with a 25-30g-ish skein, 217 yards, which could have been bigger if it weren’t for this pile of snapped singles and sworn-at-and-flung-across-the-room fluff –
– which weighs about 10-15g itself (I really need to get some decent, digital scales).
I’ve just realised that if you look at this picture of my skein closely, you can see a small, dried-up tomato pip sitting behind it on this cushion. I suspect that if I were to pay any heed to the perfectionist part of me that’s screaming at me to reshoot this picture, I might be able to find a surface or piece of fabric in the living room to lay it on that doesn’t look quite so knackered, and hasn’t been ‘enhanced’ by a snacking toddler, but it could take a while.
And in all this, the swallowtail’s coming along nicely. I had a momentary panic when I realised I only had a week left to complete it – but I’ve only one more repeat of the budding lace section left to do and will probably get that done this afternoon. Fingers crossed.